UPDATE: Jahi McMath After Nearly 3 Years Of Being On Life Support, Is Still Showing Signs Of Life.

It's been more than three years since she entered UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland in December 2013 for a routine tonsillectomy to correct her sleep apnea. At that time, the then 13-year-old McMath went into cardiac arrest and sustained massive, irreversible brain injuries.
Now, a Northern California judge is expected to determine soon whether or not to revoke her death certificate and essentially declare her “alive” again.
According to the Associated Press, court documents were filed last month to support the family’s lawsuit to have Jahi’s death certificate revoked. Retired neurologist Alan Shewmon said that videos recorded by Jahi’s family 2014-2016 show that the teen is still alive.

Tests and examinations of Jahi have been performed at Rutgers University in New Jersey with brain researchers and neurologists reviewing and performing them, Dolan said. Those working with the International Brain Research Foundation include Elena Labkovsky, who performed an EEG on Jahi, Cuban neurologist Dr. Calixto Machado and Dr. Charles Prestigiacomo, chair of the department of neurological surgery at Rutgers.
According to DeFina, an MRI shows Jahi’s brain is intact and that there is blood flow to it, which does not fit the criteria for brain death.
Jahi’s family moved her from Oakland to New Jersey where a determination of brain death does not have to be accepted by the family if it is against their religious beliefs.

State law in New Jersey forbids doctors from taking brain-dead patients from ventilators if families have religious objections. New Jersey Medicaid has since picked up some of the cost of Jahi’s care, although the exact amount has not been disclosed.

A judge is expected to rule on the case in the in the Fall of 2017 to determine whether the lawsuit will be allowed to go forward.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - An attorney for the family of a California teenager who was declared brain-dead says doctors have found signs of brain functions and is seeking an unprecedented court order declaring her alive.

Attorney Chris Dolan said Thursday that doctors at the non-profit International Brain Research Foundation made the findings after running a series of tests on the 13-year-old Jahi McMath at Rutgers University last week.
The discovery came months after three doctors, including one appointed by a judge, declared McMath brain dead and Alameda County issued a death certificate after her Dec. 9 tonsil removal surgery went awry.

Since then, Jahi's mother has pushed for keeping her daughter's organs functioning on life support, first at Children's Hospital in Oakland and later at an undisclosed medical facility in New Jersey.
Dolan said Jahi and her parents moved to a house in New Jersey about a month ago where the girl remains on life support.
On Thursday, Dolan showed video clips to a small group of reporters that he says proves Jahi is still alive. One clip shows her twitching her foot after her mother asks her to move it. Another shows hand movement in apparent response to her mother's commands.

Philip DeFina, chief executive and chief scientific officer of the International Brain Research Foundation, said Jahi has responded to commands many other times.

"There is a consistency to it," said DeFina said.
DeFina also said brain scans showed electrical activity, and other tests showed blood flowing to the brain.

Arthur Caplan, head of medical ethics at New York University's Langone Medical Center, said he knows of no cases of a brain death determination being reversed. He cautioned that the data collected on Jahi has to be examined by other researchers and experts in the field before any conclusions can be made.
"Were this to be true, it would be an earth-shattering development in understanding death," Caplan said. "They're playing a high-stakes game."

After the December surgery, Jahi began bleeding heavily and went into cardiac arrest. She was declared brain-dead Dec. 12.
Her mother and other family members refuse to believe the girl is dead as long as her heart is beating. They went to court last winter seeking an order to prevent the hospital from removing a respirator and feeding tube.

The two sides reached an agreement allowing Jahi to be transferred if her mother assumed responsibility for further complications. She was removed from Children's Hospital on Jan. 5, less than two days before an injunction that would have allowed the hospital to remove the equipment.

Many Prayers For This Family and Jahi.